Rotary Club of Villa Park Newsletter
District Governor Lucy Walther
Invocation: Richard Ingle
Pledge of Allegiance: Craig Beinlich
Rotary Four Way Test: Genene Dunn
Song : "I've Been Working on the Railroad" Teri Elmendorf
Secret Greeter: Ed Carter
Sgt At Arms: Dale Dagley
Acting President: Chad Zimmerman
District Governor Lucy Walther
Jim Barden - Asst Governor
John Chase- District Governor East LA/ Las Vegas
Amy Gitmed - Interact
Candace Tang- Interact
Linda Bartrom- Villa Park Spartan Football Team is doing great-
2 Interacters are attending today's meeting - Amy Gitmed and Candace Tang
- They have a meeting today featuring our own Chad Zimmerman
- Upcoming events- visits to a home for the elderly, Beach Clean-up and Red Ribbon Week.
- All school testing next Wednesday
Meg Rothi, Dr. Bartrom, Interact Students Candace Tang & Amy Gitmed
Dan Gray- Introduced guest Roy Borelowitz, Villa Park Resident who originally hails from South Africa and works in Information Technology sales.
- Dan is also upgrading our dacdb listings and is passing around a list to update members service committee memberships.
Steve Stern- Club Service- discussed holding this year's holiday party at Safron Restaurant the 2nd Thursday in January
- He is also setting up a club dinner at Truffles for the last Thursday of October- this will include a variety of tapas servings and will cost $40/person.
- seating is limited so let Steve know if you intend to join us.
- Steve hopes to restart a monthly dining out experience.
Jay Lieberman- Foundation Chair - Rotary Foundation Gala November 3, 2018- The Lyon Air Museum.
- He also spoke about monthly foundation donations through Rotary Direct
Mike Brunhober- International Service Chair- our international grant to purchase neonatal transport and monitors for Caborca, Mexico has been sent for approval
to Rotary International.
Chad Zimmerman- Vocational Service Chair- updated us on the progress with the Cerro Villa District Grant project to build a full scale model of the Wright Brother's
Kite- wood and supplies have been purchased along with a special saw. Teacher Dan Baker is researching the best way to bend the wood. He is very open to
Rotary member involvement in the project.
Greg Mills- Volunteers for the Orange County Science and Engineering Fair Scientific Review Committee.
- involves reviewing student projects for the 2019 Orange County Fair
- need a minimum of 3 volunteers to review by e-mail/on-line student project submissions
1. a clinical person such as an MD, nurse, psychologist, dentist
2. an engineer to review the physical sciences
3. a biologist to review the life sciences.
if interested contact Dr. Helmeste at firstname.lastname@example.org or Morris Berger at email@example.com
Lisa Scalione- Decorating the Rotary Rose Parade Float
- if interested contact RoseFloat@RotaryFloat.org
Jay Lieberman- Oct 1st- celebrated with dinner in Krakow, Poland salt mine.
Yvonne Verkuylen- celebrated her birthday last Friday with a family dinner and flowers.
Dr. Linda Bartrom- celebrated her 11th anniversary in Rotary
Mike Brunhober-celebrate 37yrs in Rotary.
Marianne Koepnick- has had a rough go lately. Her dad passed away and her mom is in hospice. She was also let go from her job last Friday and is looking for a
new job in IT. She is happy she can come back and attend Rotary meetings on a regular basis.
Elliott Brender- thanked Jay Applebaum for allowing medical supplies for his Cambodia surgery clinic to be delivered to his office.
- He is happy his kitchen remodel is coming along nicely and the appliances will be installed shortly.
Bill Campbell- had a great mini-reunion from his MBA class in Charleston, South Carolina. It was great to see old friends and visit sites in the area.
Jay Lieberman- just returned from a trip to Germany and Poland. He did a make-up meeting at the Berlin/ Brandenburg Rotary Club and had a very moving
visit to the Auschwitz concentration camp.
Jill Kuli- is very proud of her grand daughter Emma, who was selected out of 400 entries to have a play that she wrote performed at the Globe Theater in San Diego.
Robert Shumate- hosted a financial literacy class with other Wells Fargo managers for the Eddie Nash Foundation at the Villa Park City Hall for girls who are
in the foster care system.
- Jay Applebaum thanked Robert for hosting the event and noted that the girls, who seemed a bit skeptical at first, really became engaged during the breakout
sessions and enjoyed the session.
Dan Gray- visited Don Ware who is recuperating from knee replacement surgery. Brian Clark passed around a get well card.
Genene Dunn & husband Evan- had a kid-free six day vacation to Florida to visit the Marlin and Devil Ray Baseball Stadiums.
Ed Howard- off to Israel and Jordan.
Ed Carter- attended his 50th high school reunion in Troy, New York and was surprised that 167 former classmates showed up.
Chad Zimmerman- noted his son attended the Boy Scout Troop 850 Banana University last weekend and learned a lot of good leadership strategies.
- He also talked about the Dad's Club Poker Tournament which has expanded to include other local schools.
- He wanted to thank Jim & Caroline Reichert for opening their home last night for a wine and cheese event for his candidacy.
- He also thanked Jill Kuli for hosting an ice cream social for him.
Speaker: District 5320 Governor Lucy Walther
Introduction by Asst Gov. Jim Barden
Ms. Walther has been in Rotary since 1996 and has held a number of administrative positions. She wished to thank Jay Lieberman, Ed Carter for their leadership in
our club and the district. She introduced her assistant Lisa Scalione and pointed out the District Governor John Chase from East LA and Las Vegas was in attendance
today. She singled out Jay Lieberman as our special Rotarian and gave him a book, Great Quotes From Great Leaders. Lisa Scalione spoke about an opportunity
to purchase raffle tickets for an opportunity to ride on the Rotary Float and attend a special dinner with the International Rotary President. Their are also opportunities
to decorate the float. District Governor Walther than told a story about an Englishman who survived polio with the help of family and friends, dying just before Rotary
began its efforts to eradicate the disease in 1985. We are close to global eradication, but more funding is needed. She spoke about the upcoming Foundation Gala
on November 3 at the Lyon Air Museum.
District Governor Lucy Walther
Asst Gov Jim Barden, Chad Zimmerman, District Governor Lucy Walther & Jay Lieberman
10/11- Jim Sillinger(B.R.A.K.E.S.)
10/18- Dan Gray Dacdb
10/25 Virginia Foster- Memory Techniques
11/1 Teacher Mini Grants
10/17 Rotary Board Meeting- City Hall Conference Room- 6 pm
11/3 Rotary Foundation Gala